What Are the Essential Responsibilities of a Fellow?
- Provide input, strategy advice, and advocacy to shape laws and regulations that support open internet policy, communications competition, and balanced intellectual property law. Serve as lead author on advocacy documents that support public interest positions.
- Partner with government relations and communications staff to develop and execute strategy on Capitol Hill, at the Federal Communications Commission and other government agencies, working in coalitions with other public interest groups, and engaging with the press.
- Design and deliver presentations at meetings with policy makers, the press, internal staff, and other public interest groups.
- Develop expertise in a select set of global, national, and where appropriate, state-based internet technology or related policy issues.
What Qualifications are Needed to be a Public Interest Fellow?
- Ability to digest and understand underlying legal or policy documents as a prerequisite to strategic and policy planning. Ability to conduct research and analyze data.
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to think quickly and help devise legislative and political strategies to attain a projected outcome.
- Substantive knowledge of relevant law and policy issues.
What Attributes Do Most Public Interest Fellows Possess?
- Demonstrated dedication to the fight for civil liberties, human rights, and a more open and competitive communications environment
- Excellent communications skills, including the ability to translate complex ideas into understandable written and oral statements and messages to persuade, influence, or inform others, including public opinion leaders and the media.
How Can Someone Apply for a Fellowship or Other Opportunity?
- Public Knowledge posts open fellowships and internships on its website, along with the application process for each position. Law, public policy, or other students who wish to inquire about fellowships or internships may contact us by email or phone at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-861-0020.