This paper recommends:
- That platforms only apply in-app purchase rules to genuine app functionality that could otherwise have been a single up-front purchase;
- That platforms allow users to “sideload” apps but only from recognized developers (under a code-signing system that recognizes multiple certificate authorities);
- That platforms follow certain guardrails to ensure the ability of independent app and hardware developers to compete on an even playing field;
- That platforms allow archiving, emulation, and transfer of apps and digital content; and
- That developers be given more business model flexibility, such as offering traditional free trials of paid apps, and upgrade pricing.
How tech supports good policy